Monday, May 9, 2011

Mediterranean Pizza and Pizza dough recipe!

This is one of my favorite things to make and oh so yummy.......Mediterranean Pizza using a homemade pizza dough recipe....hope you enjoy it as much as we do :)

Here's a bunch of the stuff you need :)  (In case your wondering that is the sun streaming in and making me happy as I worked on dinner!!!)

Okay we will start with the pizza dough recipe....this is the one my mom always made when we were growing up so it has lots of happy memories for me.  I love the smell of yeast breads!!!!!  The recipe is taken from the Waunakee cookbook....

Pizza Dough
1 pkg of yeast  in 1/2 cup warm water ( I used 2 tsp. of breadmachine yeast that I keep in the fridge...Red Star I think)
Add 1 Tablespoon of sugar to the yeast and water and set aside

In bowl add:
1 3/4 cup flour (can do 1/2 wheat if you like)
1/4 cup warm milk
Melt 1 Tablespoon shortening in milk....I use butter...not big on crisco sorry!
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt

Mix ingredients together and then add yeast mixture.  Knead with fork.
This week I also added parm cheese (1/3 cup approx.) some garlic powder and Mrs. Dash - basil and tomato seasoning....sometimes I add fresh chopped basil.

Make into ball and but on a pizza stone that has been lightly greased and sprinkled with corn meal (optional)




You might need to add a little flour to the mixture if the dough is too sticky....just don't add to much.  Stretch your dough out and make a nice crust.  We like crust :)  You can see the corn meal on the crust and the herbs in the dough :)







The next step is to lightly drizzle olive oil over the dough.   This is a non-pizza sauce pizza.  However, this dough works great with traditional pizza recipes also.  Normally I would put spinach next but I didn't have any so I skipped that step :)  We would get our greens from the salads I was making.   Next sprinkle your dough with Mozzarella cheese and parm. cheese.....


Looking good.... ummmm you might want to wipe that drool were not done yet!!!

Now you get to add all the yummy toppings....again this is my version of Mediterranean pizza so that is my theme here.  I added green onion (on 1/2...for me :) ) Sun dried tomato, grilled chicken, red pepper and feta cheese...yes we love feta...okay we love CHEESE!!!! 

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes (depends on how done you like your crust)
Serve with a nice salad and you have a yummy dinner!!!
(flowers are from our yard...tulips and daffies....I love the bright yellow...they make me happy!!!)

Drop me a comment and let me know if you try it :)
I would love to know what your favorite family pizza is!
Blessings ~ Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment