Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Fruit Cake ~ The best recipe you will ever have!


Fruit Cake is one of those things that makes people gag or laugh about.  My husband used to give one to his grandma every year because he thought she liked it but later found out she was just being polite.  Either that or needed door stops or draft dodgers.  Now I never understood this because I have a totally different idea of what fruit cake is.  I never had a nasty store bought one as a child.  When I was growing up in Westport, WI. (a little township on the outskirts of Madison) - the church I grew up in, St. Mary’s of the Lake, used to make fruit cake as a fund raiser for the church during the Christmas season. It became so well known for being moist and delicious, and so different from store bought fruitcake, that they sold it not only in our community, but did a mail order business around the nation and even overseas. It was always looked forward to as a special treat at Christmas time. My mom saw this recipe years ago in a Better Homes and Garden magazine and said it is the closest thing she has ever seen to the church recipe and my dad agrees as it is one of his favorites too. : )This has totally changed peoples perception of what fruit cake is!  It is time consuming but I am telling you it is so worth it!!!!  My mom still makes it every year :)  Thanks mom!!!

Brazilian Nut Date Cake

In a large bowl mix together:
1 1/2 cups whole brazil nuts
1 cup pecan halves
16 oz. pitted dates
1 1/2 cups maraschino cherries (drained well)
In another bowl thoroughly mix together:
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
In third bowl beat together until foamy:
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Blend egg mixture into flour mixture.
Pour this over the nut mixture and stir well.
Pour into a 9 x 5 greased and paper lined loaf pan. (My mom uses wax paper and greases that.) Bake at 300 degrees for approx. 1 1/2 hours to 1 hour and 40 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick. When done, cool in pan for 10 minutes and then remove from pan. Cool loaf completely and then wrap in cheese cloth and foil. (My mom just wraps in 2 layers of foil so it does not dry out). Store in cool place. Flavor is at its best if you let it sit for at least 1 - 2 days before eating.

I'm telling you it is soooooo good - I am craving it now! I don't have a picture but this looks close.....you only need a small piece because it is very rich and delish!

Have a Blessed Christmas season.
Linda :)


Linking up at:
http://www.niftythriftythings.com/category/nifty-thrifty-sunday
http://www.thegirlcreative.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment